This document represents the appointment of James Hurtle Fisher as a non-elective member of the Legislative Council from 1853.
From 1851 the colonies of Australia were empowered to work towards responsible government as enacted by the Imperial Parliament’s Better Government Act. Within months South Australia established a partially representative Legislative Council consisting of 24 members, eight nominated by the governor on behalf of the Crown, and sixteen elected by colonists eligible to vote.
Fisher had a long and distinguished political career. In October 1840 he was elected first mayor of the City of Adelaide, and held the office again in 1852-54.
State Library of South Australia D 8343