The Centre of Democracy showcases the evolution of democracy in South Australia. Discover the people and ideas that have shaped our past and explore the role we have in determining the future.
A visit to the Centre of Democracy will assist students to explore:
- What democracy is in the Australian context? Why was this system instituted in Australia? How are decisions made democratically?
- The key values of Australians society for example – freedom of election and being elected, freedom of assembly, freedom of speech, expression and religious belief.
- The factors that contributed to federation and the development of democracy.
- The key individuals.
- The experiences of Australian democracy and citizenship, including the status and rights of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples, migrants, women and children.
- Why Aboriginal Australians continue to be marginalized?
Education programs will be targeted to teachers of Civics and Citizenship, HASS, History, Geography, Legal Studies, Research Project, and English.
If you would like to hear more about our school programs please contact our education officers at email@example.com